2/23/08

Just A Thought #11

CHARGE THE HILL

This year we began a Bible reading plan with our 8 year old daughter. You probably know the type. You read through the Bible in a year with extra readings of the Psalms, Proverbs and the Gospels. As we have been reading Hanna has asked a lot of questions which have helped us to see the Scriptures from her point of view. She also loves reading the verses where Jesus talks about little children.

One such verse, Luke 18:17 says, “Assuredly I say to you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will by no means enter it.” This particular verse has been bouncing around in my head the last 2 weeks. Hanna helped to illustrate its meaning even more to me.

Outside of our home the snow that the city clears from the streets is pushed into huge piles. Hanna and our dog love to run leaping and bounding over the hills and frolicking in the snow. One day as Hanna ran excitedly up the hill she called out for me to run up the hill with her. As I looked at her joy at racing up the 15+ foot high snow mounds my mind began to race with reasons why I should not charge the hill as well. It wasn’t a stable hill! I could aggravate my knee injury! I will get wet and have to go to work shortly! The list went on. Now don’t get me wrong. I have run up these types of hills before. In the past I ran with no thoughts as to why I shouldn’t. It’s just that now as my situation has changed I begin to see the hills differently.

Later I began reflecting on this Scripture in Luke. As most children are taught about the Lord there is no hesitation to believe what they are told. As we raise Hanna in the knowledge of the Lord, she believes the Biblical truths we tell her. God still moves today. OK. God still heals today. OK. He could still move the sun back in the sky if He needed to do so to accomplish His will. It is only as we reach an age of “wisdom” that we begin to doubt the truths we may have once took for granted. Trying to analyze the Bible from a position of “knowledge”. Maybe God can’t do this or that. Did He really mean this? Would He really do that?

I want to be as a little child again. To charge the Hill of God with faith and not doubt. To run freely in His fields without thinking why things aren’t possible.

If you desire to be as a little child again in your faith I encourage you to charge the hill!

No comments: