8/1/10

Crawling Backwards - Just A Thought #44

My son is learning to crawl. Now 6 months old, he is endeavoring to move across the floor. I have watched his progress with interest and cheer his every little victory.

It started with his getting his arms out in front of himself. Then, a few days later he got his knees under himself. He started rocking back and forth and the legs moved, then he scooted and crawled--backwards!

Of course we got a chuckle out of this.

He now is going forward a couple inches--and going back a couple feet.

I was sharing this with a friend who reminded me of Paul's comment in Romans 7:15, "For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do."

Now, Paul was talking about sin, not learning to crawl. However, watching my son struggle to go forward over and over, I can really see the point. When he keeps going backward, he begins to get more frustrated, more persistent. One day, not too far in the future, he will get it. Everything will come together and he will begin crawling, which will open up a whole new world for him, both good and bad.

Thinking on this Scripture though, I am reminded how my faith walk has imitated my son's faltering attempts at moving forward.

I know where I need to go. I know what God has laid before me. Yet, sometimes the things I want to do, I don't. It seems I go backwards; I struggle; I falter.

Of course I have the hope found in Romans 8:1. I know that I am IN Christ Jesus. Therefore, I don't have to stay in that place of struggle. I can relax in Christ Jesus. I can lean on Him, focus on Him and let Him guide my steps.

My son needs a helping hand to crawl and walk right now. I need that, too. I need Christ to hold my hand and lead me forward. I just have to be willing to trust.

No comments: