8/13/10

5 Questions With Craig Groeschel

Welcome to 5 Questions With.....

Today's guest is
Craig Groeschel. He is the founding and senior pastor of Life Church, a pace-setting multi-campus church, with over eighty weekly worship experiences in fourteen locations, including an online campus. Craig, his wife, Amy, and their six children live in the Edmond, Oklahoma, area where Life Church began in 1996. Craig is author of It, Chazown, Going All the Way, Confessions of a Pastor and The Christian Atheist.

And now let's get to the interview:

Hi Craig,

Question 1: What was the catalyst for you writing The Christian Atheist?

First, the idea for the book came from observations I made in my own life. I then saw these same indications and tendencies around me in people in the church. I preached a series on this concept called Practical Atheist. The reaction I received from the people was overwhelming, and many expressed that it helped them see areas in their own lives that needed to change.

Question 2: One thing that stood out to me in this book is how open you are about your struggles. Do you think believers have a hard time admitting to Christian atheism?

Yes, sometimes it is hard to see the hypocrisy in the mirror. There is a fear of being transparent and honest.

Question 3: Do you find you have to stand on guard so as to not slip back into Christian atheism?

Every day there is a pull away from God toward the world. I have to be on guard at all times.

Question 4: What is 3rd line faith?

"Line 1: I believe in God and the gospel of Christ enough to benefit from it. Sadly, many who call themselves Christians live here. If there is a God, I want to be on His good side. I want to go to heaven. I want Him to bless me with good health, good relationships and a happy life.

Line 2: I believe in God and Christ's gospel enough o contribute comfortably. Past the first line are people who believe in God not only enough to benefit but also enough to give back - as long as is doesn't cost too much.

Line 3: I believe in God and Christ's gospel enough to give my life to it. Although most people I knew were line-one and line-two believers, suddenly anything less than line-three didn't seem like real Christianity to me. My battle to cross the third line lasted almost two years. I am a different person. You can be too."

Question 5: How are people responding to the book?

I have had an overwhelming response from people. The stories have been consistently coming in, telling how The Christian Atheist changed their lives. I am thankful to God for His inspiration for the book and pray it helps many more.

Thank you Pastor Craig.

There you have it. I would encourage you to go out and order a copy of The Christian Atheist. You won't be disappointed.

To see past 5 Question guests, check out the rotating interview links on the sidebar.

No comments: