8/9/10

The Christian Atheist

I was walking through the local bookstore while on vacation in Tennessee recently and happened to glance down and see this book, The Christian Atheist. I pulled up short and contemplated the title.

How can one be a Christian AND an atheist. The two seemed like an oxymoron. I picked up the book and thumbed through it...and set it down. I was already packed tight luggage wise for my return trip and had no room for ANOTHER book.

The title kept gnawing at me though. When I returned to Canada I immediately ordered a copy of the book.

The books premise, "Believing in God but living as if He doesn't exist" was a pretty good hook. I wasn't sure if it would speak to me personally though...I mean I have believed in God for 26 years now...

WHOA! That was my first reaction after reading Chapter 1. My second reaction was to repent and pick up the Bible. It is rare that a book impacts me enough that I have to wrestle with where I am in my relationship with God. This book did that for me.

Pastor Groeschel shares many of his own personal struggles with Christian atheism. He is open and honest in a way that is refreshing and makes the reader feel like he can relate.

Not every chapter of this book spoke to me. I think it depends on where the reader is at personally. There were quite a few chapters that did though. Weeks since finishing the book I am still chewing on where I am with reading the Word, prayer and forgiveness. Those topics in particular stood out to me and are still challenging me.

Pastor Craig Groeschel has written a book that I think is a must read for any believer who is finding their faith walk to be a struggle, or lifeless, or boring. Truly I would recommend this book to any believer period. Too often we take our walk with God for granted. It's good to be challenged.

Pick up a copy of this book and you won't be disappointed...

The Christian Atheist
is written by Craig Groeschel and published by Zondervan.

6 comments:

* said...

I will order it in at work tomorrow ... thanks for the tip!

RDA said...

Let me know what you think.

herbhalstead said...

I've been following a virtual "book club" sort of thing surrounding this book on a few blogs I follow. I haven't read it myself, but the discussions flowing through the weekly book commentary is great.

RDA said...

herbhalstead you should totally check this out. I think you will enjoy it.

Unknown said...

I ordered it yesterday. I have often question myself and my beliefs because of my actions. I profess to be a Christian but do I really believe that Christ is who He says He is? If I truly believe, wouldn't my actions line up? I think my problem has been in the area of not renewing my mind. I long to give Christ my heart and not just lip service. I ask myself things like, if I really believe wouldn't I pray for more people and not just say I would pray. I think I have too many habits of the old man that I've shed but allowed his nature to stay. I want to see the spiritual realm as more real than this world. I want what I say I believe to be a reality in my life. I hope this book will encourage me to continue to challenge my flesh to walk in the obedience and love of Christ.

RDA said...

Well i think this book will speak to you Tonya. It addresses some of these very same concerns.