It started off innocently enough. I was in the 3rd grade. I came across some scented magic markers. Like every other kid in class, I sniffed the various markers. Unlike the rest of my class, I didn't stop. I continued sniffing markers throughout the school year. I huffed at school, I hufffed at home...and before long I became an addict.
It may sound humorous...but it got worse.
My parents caught me huffing markers...but they did not know I was also huffing gasoline. My neighbor caught me inhaling exhaust fumes and my dad put a boot in my backside. I was punished, lectured and addicted. I can't recall how many times I got caught or when I eventually woke up to what I was doing but I was addicted for a couple years.
Some addictions can be bad, even fatal.
Today I am addicted again. This addiction is life changing. It is one that has impacted my whole family. In fact we are all addicts and we don't want to quit.
Recently I asked myself some questions you would ask of an addict:
- Can you hardly wait until you are alone so you can experience the feeling that comes from taking part in the experience?
- Do you find yourself avoiding people because they interfere with your addiction?
- Do you find yourself daydreaming about your habit?
- Do you regularly turn to your habit when you are troubled?
- Do you feel better able to face life after engaging in your habit?
- Do you get upset if you cannot partake in your habit for a long period of time?
- Do you prefer to be with other people who do what you do?
This time I am addicted to Jesus Christ!
Psalm 84:10, "For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness."
This addiction isn't fatal but it is eternal! It not only changes my life but my future as well. I don't care if people support me or not...I just want more of Jesus. I want to spend time in His presence, in His Word, worshiping day in and day out.
Jesus Christ has changed my life. Believe in Him or not, I KNOW how He has changed my life. I have seen to much to ever turn back. I serve a LIVING, LIFE GIVING, MIRACLE WORKING God!