2/1/14

Christians and Mental Health - I Can See Clearly Now

Fog.  Thick, thick fog.

Swimming through molasses.    

These are just a couple of the ways I have explained the feeling in my head since my last concussion.

It is hard to explain that feeling of being detached from yourself.  It is a scary feeling.  At times I have felt frustrated and overwhelmed.  I wasn't depressed but I sure was discouraged.  After a year and a half, I was not sure if I would ever see relief.  I was ready to concede that this was the new normal. 

The holidays were rough.  It took all of my energy to focus on the work before me and by the time I got home, I was spent.  I prayed and prayed for a healing but each day was the same.

Finally, I visited the doctor.  After some conversations about where I was emotionally, physically and mentally I decided to broach the subject of medicinal help for my situation.  The doctor prescribed me an anti-depressant that works more as a sleep aid than anything else.  I thought that some of my post-concussion symptoms could be improved with a good nights sleep.

All I can say is Praise God.  I am sleeping well and for the first time since my concussion, I no longer feel the foggy brain when I go through my day.  I am rested and relaxed and feel more like my old self. 

I know some Christians are vehemently opposed to prescription drugs, esp. anti-depressants.  Hey, I've been there.  I see now that I was being judgmental.  Jesus Himself used various means to heal people.  John 9:1-7 talks about a time when Jesus made mud with a little spit and told a man to go wash it off in order to be healed.  In the OT, we have the story of Elisha who told one sick man to go and dip in the river 7 times in order to be healed. (2 Kings 5:1-15)

If God can use the rivers and pools, mud and spit, why can't he use medicine?

Today I am clear headed and I feel better able to focus on all that God would have me to do.  I thank God that He still heals today and I am no longer opposed to how He chooses to do it.  Be it a word, a touch or a pill...God is the one who heals.  


Other Topics in the Christians and Mental Health series:
What are we afraid of?
How Should the Church Respond?
 

No comments: