3/1/11

Walking On By

Recently two elders within YWAM came up to our church plant in Smithers, BC for a special service. One of the men, Paul, shared the story of Jesus walking on the water and Peter stepping out to meet Him. You can read that story in Matthew 14:22-33 and Mark 6:45-52.

Paul briefly mentioned the later part of Mark 6:48. It was a little aside and not something he focused on but it started rolling around in my mind and I have been blessed by meditating a bit more on that Scripture.

The verse says, "Then He saw them straining at rowing, for the wind was against them. Now about the fourth watch of the night He came to them, walking on the sea, and would have passed them by."

Why would Jesus pass them by?

While thinking on that I, also realized how often I feel that way in my own life. I feel as if Jesus is passing me by and doesn't see the storm I am in. Work, family, life, pastor, friends, interests, it all seems to swirl around me in a bit of a "perfect storm."

I feel as if I am rowing against the wind.

Yet in that storm, Jesus walked close enough for the disciples to see Him. They cried out for they couldn't see Him clearly. As they did, He drew closer and revealed Himself more fully. He got into the boat with them, calmed the storm and they worshiped Him!

It is a comfort to me to know that, though it may feel like Christ is passing me by in the midst of the storm, in reality He is closer than I think!

All I have to do is cry out to Him.