6/10/10

Blogapalooza - Sarah Apperson

Welcome to Blogapalooza.

I want you to meet some new people. I asked various friends and bloggers to share with you this month on my blog. So, all through the month of June I will feature different voices from around the world. Today I would like to introduce you to...

My Wife: Sarah Apperson

Sarah and I met in 1994 at a YWAM DTS. We were engaged a few months later and shortly after that we were married. Sarah is a passionate worshiper and has written scores of songs reflecting her love for the Lord. She currently leads our worship at Main Street Christian Fellowship and takes care of our 2 kids.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Coping or Overcoming?

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.” Ephesians 1:3

I have recently been reflecting on what it means to inherit “every spiritual blessing in Christ.” After studying the Scriptures, I am confident that it truly means just what it says: everything that we need to live whole and fruitful lives has been made accessible to us through Jesus. “For we have come to share in Christ, if we hold our original confidence firm to the end.” Hebrews 3:15

In the midst of a stressful day, when I am tired from nursing a fussy baby the night before, frustrated by my daughter's difficult Social Studies assignment, overwhelmed by the endless piles of laundry, and unable to nap because the dog won't quit barking, I am tempted to give in to the feelings of helplessness pervading my soul. I want to cry a bit, then call a friend and dump on them until they join my pity party. I can't cope with this, I think to myself. But suddenly I hear a quiet whisper—so quiet I have to silence the negative thoughts so I can hear it: “You aren't called to cope, child. You are called to live abundantly! You're called to be an overcomer! Coping is for those who think they are strong, but you are meant to depend on me in your weakness.”

One of Paul's prayers for the Ephesians was “that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith, and that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power... to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.” (Eph. 3:16-19)

God knows what resources I need so that I can have joy and peace each day. He has already made provision for me, through Jesus Christ. If I am experiencing negative feelings, He has made a way for me to rise above them and walk in a higher realm: “And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful. Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly...” Colossians 3:15

The epistles are full of commands such as “clothe yourself with holiness,” “put on Christ,” “walk in Him,” “live by the Spirit,” “seek the things that are above,” “put to death what is earthly in you... .” No matter how we feel, we may live as victorious children of God. But it is up to us to make the determination to allow the Spirit of God to do His work in us. He has provided the wardrobe, but we need to acknowledge our need, receive the gift, and put the clothes on!

No comments: