7/22/09

Moose, Wisdom and Wives

1 Corinthians 12:8, "For to one is given through the Spirit the utterance of wisdom, and to another the utterance of knowledge according to the same Spirit"

This verse aptly describes my wife. In fact she modeled both wisdom and knowledge to me about a week before our wedding.

I had just come to Canada a couple weeks earlier, as we were preparing for our wedding. Sarah wanted me to go for a walk with her on the perimeter trail around town. As we went traipsing around the edge of town, hand-in-hand, we suddenly heard a crashing sound in the woods behind us, and to the right.

Turning, we saw a cow moose (a female moose) come crashing through the trees and turning up the trail we had just come down. As she raced off into the distance you could see big clods of dirt being thrown up in the air. An animal that stands over 6 feet tall will do that.

As I stood mesmerized Sarah began to tug at my jacket. Then, just as suddenly, a baby moose came through the brush and stopped a few feet away! I extricated myself from Sarah's grip and stood about a foot away from the baby moose making what I thought might be moose sounds, trying to draw the baby out. Sarah kept telling me we needed to go, and go fast. I kept trying to call the moose. Finally Sarah broke through my thick skull by saying something along the lines of, "Rick: Moose Big! Big Moose Come Back! Moose Kill Rick." That got my attention, and we hurried down the trail.

I need wisdom at times. However, the wisdom I really need is spiritual. At times I, as most all Christians do, need God's wisdom in pressing situations. I need to know His direction, His will. So how do I acquire that?

James 1:5 says that "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him" God can give us His wisdom in each situation. We can operate out of that wisdom on a daily basis if we will just turn and seek Him.

Don't be thick-skulled. Seek God and His wisdom today.

No comments: