5/10/09

One Day At a Time

One Day.

24 Hours.

1,440 Minutes.

86,400 Seconds.

That was all I was asking God for.

Wait. I am getting ahead of myself.

I look up faith in the dictionary. One of the Merriam-Webster dictionary definitions for faith is: belief and trust in and loyalty to God

I like that. The Bible defines faith as: Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (Hebrews 11:1)

I really like that!

As I mentioned a few days ago here, I have asthma. I recently struggled with it to the point where I was completely and utterly worn out. Using your inhaler 24 times in 21 days will do that. There were other issues going on which I mentioned in my previous post. However a result of all of this was that my faith was at a low point. A really low point.

On day 21 I was talking to my Mom, (believing Moms are great) and shared with her my health struggle. I told her that I really didn't have much faith for long term relief from the struggle right now. My prayer was echoing that of the father found in Mark: Immediately the father of the child cried out and said, "I believe; help my unbelief!" (Mark 9:24)

I mentioned I really only had faith for one day. 24 hours. My Mom prayed for me and then we hung up. 24 hours passed. No inhaler! I praised God but my faith was such that I was taking it one day at a time. I continued to have faith for just that much. Now, 8 days out (as I write this) and I find my faith growing. As I dig into the Word and worship the Father I feel I have the faith for 2-3 days now.

Maybe that doesn't mean a lot to you.

Maybe your faith is stronger.

Praise God.

I find right now, one day at a time allows me to cling to Him in a fresh way.

Maybe in a week or 2 it will be a week at a clip, then a month, then a year...faith is like that.

It grows as it is nurtured. We have are ups and downs.

God, however is always faithful.

No comments: