1/6/12

The Cost of Community

The Cost of Community: Jesus, St. Francis and Life in the Kingdom (IVP) is book written by Youth With A Mission's Winnipeg Director, Jamie Arpin-Ricci.

I would not have normally gravitated to a book about St. Francis. To be honest, I just thought the guy was a bit...strange. However, the fact that I knew the author and that he was discussing the Sermon on the Mount as well were big hooks for me.

So I set aside my preconceived ideas about St. Francis of Assisi and decided to pick this book up at a YWAM gathering.

I am very glad I did.

This is more than a book about St. Francis. It is about a way of life. Jamie shares about his own church (The Little Flowers Community) and how they were profoundly impacted by reading, discussing and attempting to live out the Sermon on the Mount. Interwoven throughout this journey, Jamie takes readers deeper into the life of St. Francis and deeper still into the heart of the Sermon on the Mount.

I found myself turning to the message Jesus shared and re-reading the Sermon while contemplating on what His words have meant to me. I saw how often I read this passage of Scripture while overlooking some of the practical implications. I came away challenged to not just read, but also apply what I have learned.

I was also excited to see how God has been working in the heart of Winnipeg via the ministry of the Little Flowers Community.

Some Christians ignore the life of St. Francis, which I think is a shame. Though at times he went to extremes while attempting to live out his faith, his passion for Christ cannot be ignored.

We need to get out of our comfort zones at times and this book is perfect for helping us take the first step.

Jamie will be popping in as my next guest on 5 Questions with...on Jan. 8th.

In the meantime, why not order your own copy of The Cost of Community.

1 comment:

Jamie Arpin-Ricci said...

Thanks my friend! Peace!