7/4/11

Happy Dependence Day (From the Archives)

(I originally posted this last year and a colleague of mine, Stanley Groothof, mentioned it today on his blog so I thought I would bring it back.)

Today it is Independence Day in the US. This is the day, for you history buffs or those without a knowledge of US History, that the US gained independence from England and set a new course.

However, for me it is DEPENDENCE Day. Today is just another day for me. Another day where I cannot do things in my own strength. Another day where I recognize that I need help, the help only God can give. I am fully dependent on Him.

You see I know I am a weak person. James 3:2 says, "For we all stumble in many ways. And if anyone does not stumble in what he says, he is a perfect man, able also to bridle his whole body."

I stumble in many ways. I have done this literally as well. I used to be a bit of a klutz. The thing about stumbling is that when you start to stumble or fall, you invariably reach out for something secure to steady yourself. I do that to. I grab a hold of the ROCK!

I know I am weak and need help. I fully admit that I am dependent on the King of Kings. I would not have it any other way!

"But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong. " (2 Corinthians 12:9-10)

If you are not ashamed to admit how weak you are then I say to you as well, "Happy Dependence Day!"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout-out, Rick! Hope you and the family are well! ~Stan

RDA said...

That we are!