4/4/11

Reality vs. Perception

Sometimes what is said and how we perceive or “hear” what is said are two different things.

I remember numerous occasions over the years where someone spoke truth and I was hurt because even though they meant it for good, my filters took it in as, "they don't like me."

I remember in Russia, maybe because I had experienced hunger as a teen when we lost everything, I would race to get in the food line first. Our leaders took me aside one day and said they noticed this and asked me to consider others and to hold back. I was "righteously indignant!". In reality, I was being rude and they called me on it. Later, many years later, the Lord broke through my hard shell and let me know how right they were!

Sometimes though people say hurtful things without realizing it.

Proverbs 18:21 says, “Death and life are in the power of the tongue, And those who love it will eat its fruit.”

We should seek to bridle our tongue just as the Bible mentions. (James 1:26) Our words can impact others for eternity!

The reality is that we are all far from perfect and none of us can cast the first stone. Instead of trying to hurl rocks, we should let people see the love of God emanating from us. If we do this, our perceptions will match our realities.

No comments: