7/21/10

When Kids Pay Attention

Well I found out yesterday my daughter pays attention. She would pick this particular time to let us know.

Let me back up a bit. This past week I shared the story of Elijah at church. It was a longer version of my recent post on Elijah and the oil that never runs out! I really tried to focus on how God leads and provides.

We closed with a prayer, had some snacks and left. Now, I will let you in on a little pastoral secret...

Not everyone pays attention in church. Some sleep, some plan their grocery lists and others are waiting for the guy up front to be quiet so everyone can go home.

So it is always encouraging when someone shares how the message touched/challenged/blessed them. Some do this right away and others will filter in through the week to let you know. When a kid mentions your message it is particularly encouraging.

When they remind you of your own sermon...O-U-C-H!

Monday we found out we will be a little shy in the income department and this kind of threw our budget plans awry. Like most of us, it means we have to tighten the belt in some areas.

So when we found out this wonderful news, my wife spoke out loud her concerns and frustration. My daughter chose this moment to so brilliantly let my wife know she was paying attention. "Mom, remember Dad just preached about God's provision!"

NOW she pays attention. She misses the clean her room, let the dog out part but she remembers the sermons! Well ok I can't fault her there.

However it was a good reminder to us to live our faith out and not to just vocalize it. "And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 4:19) My daughter just taught me that verse all over again. With love she reminded us that God does provide and to not be discouraged.

Thanks for paying attention kiddo!

No comments: