1/1/16

One Word - The Tradition Continues

Back in 2009 Compassion began challenging people to seek the Lord for a word for the new year instead of making a new years resolution. This challenge has been sent out to their bloggers every year since.  I enjoyed the idea so much that in 2013 I joined the ranks of Compassion bloggers who write about their one word.  I have asked God for a new word each year since.

In 2013 I felt that word was PRAYER and pray I did.  Lots.  Things happened (concussions) which forced me to my knees in prayer before the Lord.  In fact I think I only survived that year due to prayer!

In 2014 that word was TRUST. Looking back over that year, I saw areas both personally and professionally where I had to learn to trust God more than ever.  I also saw God open amazing doors as I learned to trust Him more.

In 2015 I felt that the word He had for me was PEACE. A lot happened this past year and my peace was challenged greatly at times.  Yet through all of the ups and downs, I felt the peace that passes all understanding!  (Phillipians 4:7)

As we approached the new year I asked the Lord for a word for 2016.  That word is BEGINNINGS. 

I was drawn to this passage in Isaiah:

"Behold, I am doing a new thing, now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert." (Isaiah 43:19)

As I read and reflect on that passage of Scripture I can't help but get a bit excited. I also get a bit nervous.  Beginnings can signify change.  Change is not always easy or comfortable. However, I believe the Lord is speaking this word for a reason. I don't know what 2016 holds but I know Who holds 2016!  I can makle plans but God can take things in any number of directions. I am usually suprised by how significant the word becomes by the end of each year.

My ultimate goal is to know Him and His will more. 

I am excited to see how this word applies to the coming year.

So what is God speaking to you for the New Year?

No comments: