5/21/08

The Well


In Croatia, a country that was once a part of Yugoslavia before the war, there is a small town named Krajaschina. In the fall of 1996 I had the privilege of being the first American (at least that was what I was told) to enter this town.

Cows were herded up the rural dirt roads a few miles from the main town. Livestock, typical of a farm area, could be seen all around in the fields.

I was spending the day with a Christian friend from Zagreb, the capital of Croatia. We had come to this town to help his father pick corn on his grandmother’s farm. They needed the corn to feed their family and livestock through the winter months. It was here I heard the story of the well.

A little over one hundred years ago this country village had ten public wells built at various locations around the town. Farmers would come to get water and various military units would water their horses there as well as they passed through the town. As the years went by the wells began to run dry. One by one they stopped giving their cool, refreshing liquid. All accept one.

Only one well has never ceased to give its needed refreshment. Each time a bucket is lowered down the well it comes back up fool of cold, refreshing, clear water. Visiting this well I was reminded of another story about a different well.

Jesus had stopped at a well for a drink and was met there by a Samaritan woman. He asked her for a drink. She stated, “You are a Jew and I am a Samaritan woman. How can you ask me for a drink?” (John 4:9) Jesus proceeded to reveal Himself to her as the Living Water. As she asked questions He responded with a gentle kindness. His responses when to the heart of her real need! The result? He brought this woman into relationship with Himself. She later testified in Samaria about Him.

We all need the water from the well that never runs dry. I know in my own life I have felt really refreshed of late. So sit back and drink of the Lord!

No comments: