5/20/10

Just Courage/IJM

"There must be more to the Christian life than this--more than church each Sunday and waving to my neighbors and giving some clothes to Goodwill when I go through my closet each spring."

With this premise, Just Courage takes you on a challenging and engaging journey of adventure. I came across this little book while reading Anne Jackson's blog last year. When I ordered the book, I was not prepared to be challenged to do something more in the area of justice. Reading the stories set forth by author Gary Haugen I became more aware of sex trafficking, modern day slavery and a host of other issues. As a Christian, I felt like I could not ignore the issue now that I was aware of the extent of injustice. Gary kept me on the edge of my seat with story after story from the front line battlefield!

This led me to research Gary's organization, The International Justice Mission.

The International Justice Mission (IJM) is a human rights agency that seeks to secure justice for victims of slavery, sexual exploitation and other forms of violent oppression. The IJM lawyers, investigators and aftercare professionals work with local officials to ensure immediate victim rescue and aftercare, to prosecute perpetrators and to promote functioning public justice systems. With offices in the US, Canada, the UK and Germany, there is an office close to where you live.

The book was an incredible eye opener to an issue I had not been fully aware of. Gary lists further resources at the back of the book. One of those was the IJM website. You need to check that out. If all you do is sign up for the prayer bulletin and PRAY, you will be helping out in a tremendous way. However, there are a host of ways to get involved.

Sex trafficking is real! Modern day slavery still happens. Please, order this book. Visit the website and let the Lord stir your heart with compassion.

No comments: