5/1/10

Between the Psychic and the Porta-Potty - Just A Thought #41

This past week I found myself taking part in a food drive for the Salvation Army. The drive was being put on by a traveling carnival that was set up for a couple days in town. As I pulled up they showed me where to set up, which was beside the porta-potties and across from the psychic. (Insert cheesy joke here!)

Sadly, I saw a couple Christians heading into the psychic to have their palms read or tarot cards laid out for them. The lady promised 90% accuracy in foretelling your future! I found it very sad that believers would violate God's Word by willingly seeking advice from someone practicing acts that God clearly condemns.

From psychics to horoscopes it seems people have no problem consulting others for wisdom that only God can give. It's not just wisdom though, I know quite a few believers who want to see how close they can get to the line of sin while touting their "freedom" in Christ. I think if you are looking for the line, you are already on the wrong side of it.

Stop forming inappropriate relationships with unbelievers. Can right and wrong be partners? Can light have anything in common with darkness? Can Christ agree with the devil? Can a believer share life with an unbeliever? Can God's temple contain false gods? Clearly, we are the temple of the living God. As God said, "I will live and walk among them. I will be their God, and they will be my people." The Lord says, "Get away from unbelievers. Separate yourselves from them. Have nothing to do with anything unclean. Then I will welcome you." (2 Corinthians 6:14-17)

We are called to resist the evil of this world. We are not called to compromise, to give in, to surrender to the cares of this world. We should act more like Joseph fleeing temptation. Remember, he ran from it, leaving his cloak behind in his hurry to get away. (Genesis 39:1-11) I have never found a Scripture telling us to see how close we can get to sin while still resisting. I have never seen a Scripture where God tells us to seek His wisdom from a horoscope or a psychic.

We need to actively resist temptation. Christ, living in us, has given us the ability to do that. Let's not dabble with the things of this world. God's ways are far superior to any "wisdom or good things" the world has to offer. When we follow through with what 2 Corinthians says above, then God has promised to call us His own. "The Lord Almighty says, "I will be your Father, and you will be my sons and daughters." (2 Corinthians 6:18)

No comments: