5/8/10

Hungry For Life

I have never been a fan of anti-poverty books. This is not because I don't care about the issue; I do. (I work for the Salvation Army, after all!) The reason I have never cared for these types of books is because the authors often take a Scripture out of context, and run with it to prove their opinions.

Not so with Hungry For Life by Dave Blundell. I was pleasantly surprised upon reading this book to find Dave doesn't like it when people do this either. He gives a Scripture and then backtracks trough the Biblical chapter/book, to explain the setting and audience.

That is just one of things that excited and challenged me about Hungry For Life. Without hammering stat after stat, Dave engages the reader in a way that makes one see the problem of poverty is not just a social issue but a spiritual one. Instead of just trying to see behaviors changed, Dave looks at the heart issue of the body of Christ as well.

Dave seeks to help us understand the Scripture in a fresh way as he brings it into our modern focus. When Jesus rebuked the Pharisees, I found myself wondering if He could say the same thing to today's Spiritual Leaders, myself included. I didn't like the answer I came up with.

I found myself examining my own walk with the Lord as Dave expressed that a revival of the heart is truly needed to see the church get out into the street and live out their faith. That to me is the bottom line. Are we living our faith or are we just tossing a few coins at the "problem" to assuage our own guilt? Dave asks and answers that question.

WARNING - IF YOU READ THIS BOOK YOU WILL BE CHALLENGED!

So having said that, you need to read this book. Pick up a copy today and check out the Hungry For Life website as well!

"Book has been provided courtesy of the author and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc. Available now at your favorite bookseller."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds awesome...I'll add it to my list. Thanks for the review!

Jay

RDA said...

Yeah you won't regret it.