1/20/09

The Silence was Deafening!

It was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life!

Spending one day without media wasn't the toughest part actually. I did not miss the tv, radio, cell phone or computer. That part was fairly easy. I actually found that I had more free time without the "conveniences" that help us to have more free time! I was able to spend more time with the Father!

The hard part was my choice not to talk that day either as I spent the day listening. My desire to fill the silence with speech was almost unbearable at some points. I wanted to pray requests at times instead of listening for the Father. That was the hard part. Laying aside my agenda.

I did find that I spent more time in the Word than I have in a long, long time. I realized how much I missed reading the Word for pleasure. I also found the desire to pray more on a daily basis was greatly increased.

My verse for the day was 1 Corinthians 2:2 which says, "I am determined to know nothing but Jesus Christ and Him crucified." I tried to keep that in mind throughout the day.

So would I do this again? I honestly don't know. I am awed by the time I had with the Father and came away more settled than I expected. However if I did this again I would probably talk out loud, to the Lord at least....which means I'd listen less probably....so that would kill the reason for doing it....

My heart says yes, my mind says no....I'll have to listen to what God says.....

Over the coming days...weeks...I will be sharing some of what I felt the Lord spoke to me during this time. However first I want to continue sifting through it in prayer...

6 comments:

Depht said...

Intriguing! We featured this story on http://www.faithtelegraph.com. Blessings, Mark.

Anonymous said...

Go for it Rick!! You're just getting started!!

The less we talk, the more we learn...
and that's ALWAYS good when it comes to learning from God.
Isn't it surprising what God actually says when we give Him the floor and the option of choosing the topic?!!

[because i'm not a 'blogger with an id i'll sign as anonymous, but you will probably know who i am.] :)

RDA said...

Thanks for the comments and the shout out!

Anonymous said...

I am intrigued by this! I think it's an excercise I NEED to do!! I am wayyyy too plugged in!
Donna Saffel

Anonymous said...

Rick... you might be on to something. I need to do the challenge.. and by golly... I think I will... Good word, my bro.
Heath G

RDA said...

I have had a few people tell me they want to take up the challenge. I would love to see more try it. I would also love to hear how they found the exercise! If you do this please let me know how it goes.