1/27/09

Let God Speak!

I was reading 2 Samuel 7:2-17 this past week and noticed something kind of interesting. It's a passage of assumption.

David calls in Nathan the prophet and basically says, "Hey I want to build God a temple." Nathan, knowing that God has blessed, anointed and appointed David, said to the king, "Go, do all that is in your heart, for the LORD is with you." (2 Samuel 7:3)

Now this is where the assumption plays in. Nathan did not consult God. The rest of this passage is God telling Nathan, "Did I ask for this? I could have spoken this request a long time ago." God then goes on to instruct Nathan what he should tell David re. the temple. In a nutshell, "Solomon will build it not you!"

This whole section got me wondering.....do we consult God enough? When planning ministry items do we go before the throne to get God's take on things? Sadly not always. It's easy to assume a ministry that is blessed, anointed and appointed is doing God's will in seemingly good things. However we can't just assume God wants us to do what we want to do for Him!

Assumption does not supersede His direction. I know I need to seek Him before launching out into new ministry. This section was a good reminder for me.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Good idea versus God idea. Or combining wisdom with compassion.
I need to keep that before my face.
Cool blog.
Check mine out~ http://tracywagman.blogspot.com/