6/1/12

Asking for Wisdom - Just A Thought #52

"My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him."(James 1:2-5)

I was reading James tonight and this verse struck me. I have always struggled with counting it all joy when I am in the midst of a trial. (work, home, faith, etc.) Somehow I find it hard to say, "Oh joy, a trial!" However, reading past that, I also noted that these trials produce patience and we are also told to ask for wisdom if we lack it.

Patience and wisdom. Those two words started rattling around in my brain. These are two key items I need when I am encountering a problem, a trial or a temptation. I need the patience to respond in His time and way. I need wisdom in how to proceed next and how to avoid the problems in the future.

We are also told that we will be blessed when we endure temptation. I don't think I have heard enough sermons on endurance. I want to get out of it quickly, not endure it.

All of this led me to James 1:19 which says that we should to be swift to hear, slow to speak and slow to anger. Being swift to hear and slow to speak is what I recently told a group of management course students I wanted to do more of. I've been working on the slow to anger part for awhile. Looking at James, I see that I need patience, wisdom and endurance as well.

Obviously, none of this is possible without the King of Kings and Lord of Lords.

So Father, I ask for wisdom.

What are you asking for?

No comments: