5/28/12

The Most Misued Verses in the Bible - A Book Review

I first became aware of Eric Bargerhuff's book, The Most Misused Verses in the Bible, via an excerpt in Christianity Today. I told my wife this was a book I needed to check out. When it came available for review I jumped on it.

This is a book that every believer needs to read and every pastor needs to take to heart. Bargerhuff takes the reader through seventeen of the most widely quoted verses that he feels are misused and misunderstood.

These verses range from "Do not judge..." (Matthew 7:1) to "Train up a child..." (Proverbs 22:6) and covers baptism, prayer and all points in between. I won't spoil the book but I will say each chapter challenged me to re-consider how I have used these verses in the past.

The basic premise of this book is this: Read the Scripture in context instead of cherry-picking the verses to fit our own preconceived agenda.

Reading this book was eye-opening for me. Though I did not agree with every conclusion, I found the journey spurring me on to look at Scripture in context before sharing the Word with others or applying it to my own life.

I can't ask for much more than that.

"
Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group".

No comments: