5/28/09

Can I Get A Discount With That?

10 Things Heard In a Christian Bookstore:

10. You Don't have any good books!
9. I can get it cheaper on Amazon.
8. That book is only 25 years old I can't believe you don't have that on the shelf.
7. What do you mean it's out of print?
6. I want a real Bible!
5. Can I take this Bible home and try it out.
4. If I buy 2 books can I get the 3rd for a discount?
3. The KJV is the only Word of God.
2. I can't believe you have/don't have THAT book!
1. Can I get a discount because I am (insert position, income level here)

I love Christian bookstores. They are fun places to work, visit and shop in. I always find treasures I did not know exist. I also see and have heard lots of behind the scene stuff over the years as well. From the US to Canada many Christian bookstore owners feel unappreciated and just plain worn down.

We have an advantage in the western world that many believers around the world don't have, access to Christian material. We can find the Bible of our choice, color, size and shape. We can find more books than we will ever read in a lifetime. We have access to music that would take a century to listen to. We are blessed.

You wouldn't know it by standing in a bookstore sometimes. The top 10 list were all things I have heard over the years while in a Christian bookstore. If this is how believers act in a Christian bookstore I am afraid to hear how they act while in the world. The tone most of these statements were made in ranged from indignant to shocked. From downright rude to biting. That to me is sad. When was the last time you thanked your service providers? Not just Christian bookstore owners but anyone who provides a service to you. When was the last time you offered an encouraging word, a smile or heaven forbid a prayer?

What happen to love and kindness in the body of Christ? What happened to treating others as we would want to be treated? (Matt. 7:12; Luke 6:31)

Love One Another. If Christ lives in you, it shouldn't be that hard!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Can I get a discount because I've never done any of those ten things? ...Uh, oh, oops. Never mind.

Re #3 -- The KJV is in the only Word of God. Well, you know what they say: "If the King James was good enough for the apostle Paul, it's good enough for me!"

Okay, seriously now. I am saddened by the rudeness Christian bookstore staff/owners receive from fellow brothers and sisters in Christ. Why is it that we wouldn't dream of treating strangers in the same way we too often mistreat our own family?

RDA said...

I think part of it is that we haven't learned to love!