3/17/12

Glorious Mess


Glorious Mess by Mike Howerton is one of the funniest non-fiction books I have ever read. In fact, I have never laughed so hard while reading a book about grace.

Wait, let me try this again.

According to the description from Baker Books, Glorious Mess clearly reveals God's perfect love for imperfect people. The book shows you how to hear God's voice, how to embrace God's calling, how to make the most of your messes, and how to see God working through them. The book includes insightful discussion questions for group or personal use.

Mike Howerton weaves the story of Jonah throughout the book and he uses both Biblical and personal stories of God's amazing grace. Each chapter ends by Mining the Mess, making each chapter personal.

I found the book to be quite good. Mike Howerton accomplished what he set out to do, to show God's love for imperfect people. I found the book held my attention to the very end. His frequent use of humor had me laughing out loud. As much as I loved the humor though, and I did, I found that near the end of the book it was just a bit too much. Most of his humor worked and there was nothing offensive. However, in the end I felt like he could have cut it back just a bit and still made the book an enjoyable read.

How's that for criticism...the book was too funny at times.

On a serious note, I found myself re-reading Jonah and coming away with a fresh understanding of the grace of God. I would recommend this book to anyone who has struggled with accepting the fact that God loves us just as we are.

"
Book has been provided courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, Inc.
Available at your favourite bookseller from Baker Books, a division of Baker Publishing Group"

No comments: