7/13/10

Lip Service

Have you ever given God lip service?

Let me ask it this way instead. Do you believe in God? Does He know that?

Matthew 15:8 says, "These people honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me."

God doesn't want us to just say we believe, He wants our hearts focused on Him. It takes more than just saying, "I am a Christian." It means acting like one...in public AND in private!

Yet faith without works is dead. (James 2:17) I love my wife...I can tell her that all day long, but if I don't let my actions reflect my words, is that really love? No. In addition, if I do things for her out of obligation or because I feel I should do it to make her happy...she will know that as well. She would know when my heart isn't in it or when I am just giving lip service.

Do we focus on Him daily? Most of us are quick to thank God when things are going our way
but not so much if that continues daily. We start to take the good days and good things for granted.

What about when adversity hits? We actually pray harder when things aren't going our way, but are we seeking Him or relief from our problem?

In good times and in bad we should by all means say what we believe, but then we should act on it. If we say God is good then let us not grumble and complain when things aren't going our way. If we say He is righteous and fair, who are we to disagree when He convicts us of our own mistakes.

No, it's time to step up to the plate and to live what we confess. Imagine what would happen if everyone who confessed Jesus as Lord actually lived like they believe that!

It boggles the mind...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The old new layout wasn't working for you, eh? Well, I quite like this new new layout; it has a cleaner look to it.

Good post today, too! I sometimes dream of what it would be like if everyone actually practiced what they preached (including the preachers!).

=) Stan

Unknown said...

Yep, been there...hate it when I do.
If we would live as we say we believe...everything in our lives would be different. Thanks for sharing!

RDA said...

@Stan - Thanks. I had some technical issues with the old layout.

@JC Dude - Thanks Brother.