1/1/10

Out of Control - Just A Thought #38

I should have known better.

The road conditions were not the best, but I thought I had things under control. I thought that if I kept my eyes open and paid attention nothing bad would happen. I was about to find out how terribly wrong my assumptions were.

The day started off normal. I was running around with my job, trying to accomplish all that I needed to get done. I had to travel to another town and asked my wife if she wanted to ride with me. She was kind of busy but also asked me if I really NEEDED to go. That should have been my first warning. I'd had an uneasy feeling that day anyway but attributed it to nervous excitement about my new job which took me back and forth between 2 towns. When I called my assistant to give some last minute instructions she also asked me if I NEEDED to go that day. I stressed how I needed to go gather time sensitive paperwork from my other office.

Heading up Hungry Hill, I was nearing the peak when my van began to fishtail when I hit a patch of ice. Back and forth the vehicle started rocking. Then just as suddenly I did a complete 360 across 3 lanes of highway. My only thought was to cry out to God. After spinning twice, the vehicle skidded 20 feet off the highway. I was amazingly calm. That is, I was calm until I left the vehicle and a semi truck kicked a rock up that hurtled 20 feet and hit me in the wrist, about a foot from my head. Then the shaking started. I began praising God for His protection.

Sometimes it seems that life has to go out of control before we turn to God. He calls us, woos us, gives us warnings, yet we get so busy and caught up with life that things seem, if not beyond our control, definitely stretched to the limits.

I believe God is calling us to rest in Him. Matthew 11:28 says, " Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." This spiritual rest doesn't mean we quit life. It means we seek Him and lay down our burdens at His feet.

As the New Year is upon us, will you take a moment and stop? Wherever you are just take some time and reflect on Him, seek Him. By resting in Him you will find you accomplish so much more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this, Rick. And thanks be to God that you're still in one piece and still in peace with Him! I skimmed the second last paragraph, initially misreading it. I read, "This spiritual rest doesn't mean a quiet life." That's also true -- Life in Christ isn't easy, but we have a place to lay our burdens.