9/30/08

Thinking outside the Box (Just A Thought #27)

How many times have you heard the phrase "Let's think outside the box?" I’ve heard it more times than I care to. I am no longer going to think outside the box. I propose something new. Let’s get outside of the box, turn and set the box on fire!


Let's embrace God, and all that He has for us. Let's live, breathe and focus on the Lord daily. He is a God of Life! He is also a dangerous God. Let's not forget that either. God in the OT was not to be taken lightly! He hates sin and dealt with it accordingly! Rather it was sending fire down from heaven or opening the ground up to swallow people who sinned He was not a God to be trifled with. He still isn't! His view of sin has not changed. Should we be afraid of God? Remember the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom! Psalm 111:10; Proverbs 1:9; 9:10 and 15:33 all talk about that. However He was, is and always will be an awesome God. This is a God who created the heavens and the earth, who moved the sun back in the sky and sends a fiery chariot to pick up Elijah! God did the unexpected. He still does. He is worthy of our praise because there is none like Him. He is worthy of our praise because He is God!


In the New Testament Jesus also did the unexpected. He turned water into wine, raised the dead, spit in people's eyes, walked on water and died for our sins! The apostles and men and women of faith throughout history have also seen God move in and through them in remarkable ways.


So why do we settle for anything less? Why do we become complacent in our Bible reading, prayers and faith? Why are some people so set in their ways that the slightest variations in church cause massive heartburn to the regular attendees?


It's time to shake off our spiritual lethargy. It's time to take a fresh view on our faith. Let's renew our focus and devotion to the Lord. Let’s embrace the LIFE He has for us. Let's step away from the things that bleed the life out of us and step into the joy the Lord has for us in His unexpected, fresh ways.


Church is good, traditions are good, God is Great! I am not knocking church or church traditions. I am saying there is more than routine. There is hope! There is Life! I don’t want to settle for second best or a lackadaisical Christianity. I want to experience all that God has for me! I want a fresh awakening! I want more than punching a time card of faith. I want all that God has for me! Life!

No comments: