4/1/11

April Fools

April 1st is the day kids and some adults like to try and prank their friends. They hope, with little or no planning, that their "trick" will convince their target long enough for them to say, "April Fools".

Of course most know it's coming.

I remember when I was in the 3rd grade, every kid getting on the bus that morning seemed to have the same "bright" idea. We each, not knowing the others plans, told the bus driver our Mom was pregnant. Of course he feigned surprise at each revelation.

I decided to look up the word fools in the Bible. Fools are mentioned quite often. Mostly in Psalms, Proverbs and Ecclesiastes. The verses that speak to me he most are found in Psalms 14:1 and 53:1.

Both say that a "fool says in his heart there is no God."

By that definition, I have met a few fools over the years. They are convinced there is no God.

There is another verse that I think can be used to apply to believers:

Proverbs 12:15 says, "The way of a fool is right in his own eyes, but a wise man listens to advice."

I have met a lot of believers who do what they think is right or whatever feels good. They only seek or listen to the wisdom that confirms their ideas and choices. Some feel that a true friend should support you no matter what. I don't agree. I would rather have a friend who warns me when I am in danger and will let me know if I am wrong!

Lord, spare us from wanting to have our ears tickled and help us to walk in and listen to wisdom.

No comments: