3/17/11

Silence

I have been a bit infrequent of late.

Part of that is work related as there is a boatload of stuff on my plate.

Part of it is intentional as I am really meditating on Ecclesiastes 3 right now.

In particular, the latter part of 3:7 which says there is a time for silence and a time to speak.

The word that is gnawing at me is right there:

SILENCE

I shared on Ecclesiastes 3 at church last week and something was said that just brought that word home to me.

I think silence is something we don't practice enough in Christianity.

It got me thinking though and I have been digging into the Word and looking at themes like:

"Being Still Before God, Silence, Contemplation and Reflection"

I just felt that I needed to take some time and reflect on these themes.

Only in listening to the Father can we really know His heart.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Rick, for this.

In our noisy world, we need times to be just be silent, to remember that noise is seldom natural despite our usual experiences. Sometimes I encourage people to "partake" in a few moments of silence during a Sunday morning worship service – it may be the only peace and quiet some get all week!

In a lot of ways, I reckon that our noisy busyness reflects a lot of misplaced trust in our own abilities and a general avoidance of the God who sometimes speaks in a gentle whisper to those who slow down long enough and quiet themselves enough to listen.

I am reminded of Ps 46:10
"'Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted
among the nations,
I will be exalted
in the earth.'
The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob
is our fortress."

RDA said...

Good stuff and I am looking at Psalm 46:10 as one of the Scriptures for a sermon on Stillness.