4/25/10

Mission: Possible (Part 1)

This is from the Archives...Dec. 2008

An examination of the Sermon on the Mount.

My family and I love watching old reruns of the American TV show, Mission Impossible, which ran from 1966-1973. Sure, most of the technology is cheesy now and the special effects are corny, but the show had a fantastic theme and a great premise. A team put together to accomplish the impossible missions.

Do you ever feel like God is calling you to the impossible? I do every time I read the Sermon on the Mount! If you read Matthew chapter 5 you'll find many things that might seem hard to swallow. Some will feel downright impossible.

Just look at how Jesus starts off in Matthew5:3-12. The Beatitudes...or as I like to think of them the way our attitude should be! Sure, some sound easy and nice, like v. 6 which says if we hunger and thirst for righteousness we will be filled. However when you look at v. 5 about being meek, v. 7 about being merciful and v. 9 about being a peacemaker....gulp...those are not easy. Try to encourage someone to be merciful when they are wronged and they are just as likely to turn on you! I know because I've done it...I've turned my anger to the person saying be merciful.

Matthew 5:13-16 doesn't sound that hard. Letting your light shine, being salt, can't be that difficult can it? (Unless you think about that meek, merciful peacemaker thing!)

Right after this, Jesus talks about the Law and how He came to fulfill it. Look what He points out though: In v. 21 He basically says, "Never Murder" and then in v. 22 He says, "But I can guarantee that whoever is angry with another believer will answer for it in court. Whoever calls another believer an insulting name will answer for it in the highest court. Whoever calls another believer a fool will answer for it in hellfire."

We've never done that right? We've never called another believer an insulting name, right? Or a fool?

Makes me want to not open my mouth period!

Jesus goes on to say adultery is looking at a woman with lust in your heart. Verse 39 is easy: "But I tell you not to oppose an evil person. If someone slaps you on your right cheek, turn your other cheek to him as well. " Oh wait.....

Well there is the whole love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you thing......well.....er....yeah........

This doesn't get easier does it? What do you think? Is Jesus trying to tell us another way to live? Yes. Is it comfortable? No!

Here's a question for you....do you want to live that way? The way of the Sermon on the mount? Is it even possible? Come back for Part 2 of Mission: Possible.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

There are days I long to live out a faith like that but too many when I want it safe. Thanks for sharing your thoughts bro'

Jay

RDA said...

Thanks Bro