2/1/10

Just A Thought #41 - Are You Content?

This past week, as I laid in bed listening to my wife's breath rise and fall rhythmically in sleep, as I listened to Caleb's soft gentle cooing as he rolled to his side and as I thought of Hanna sleeping gently in the next room, a verse came to my mind:

"I'm not saying this because I'm in any need. I've learned to be content in whatever situation I'm in. I know how to live in poverty or prosperity. No matter what the situation, I've learned the secret of how to live when I'm full or when I'm hungry, when I have too much or when I have too little. I can do everything through Christ who strengthens me." (Philippians 4:11-13)

One definition of content as found in Webster's Dictionary is, "not disturbed; having a mind at peace". I think that is an awesome definition. This week I am content.

Sure, life is hectic. There are stresses at work, normal stresses with a new baby and all kinds of financial hurdles ahead, both seen and unseen. However, I am content. There are uncertainties about tomorrow, things can change in an instant, but I am content.

As the Scripture above said, "Ive learned the secret." The secret is in Romans 8:1 and Galatians 2:20. In Romans 8:1 it says, "There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Did you see it? It's the word IN! Being in Christ Jesus is the secret. Galatians 2:20 says it even more fully, "I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me."

My identity is in Jesus Christ. It is for that reason and that reason only, that I can be content in both good times and bad. When I walk in my identity, as a new creation in Christ Jesus, I am living in victory even in the bad times...because I have the peace that passes all understanding.

I know what it's like to have a mind that is not at rest, to have the inner turmoil and doubt, fear and insecurity that comes when I am not at peace. I don't want to go back there. I want to live out of my new identity.

Are you content?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great stuff, Rick! I'm still waiting for a commercial on TV or an ad on the internet to tell me, "Why don't you first see if you can be happy WITHOUT our product? You've probably got enough stuff already. If, after trying really hard to get by without it and it's not working, then look us up." ...What are the chances of that!

There is one thing I can think of about which Jesus-followers should be discontent. I've heard somewhere (do you know where offhand? this does not originate with me) that Christians should be characterized by a content discontentment. The point is that we are content in Christ (as per your piece), but that we are never content STAYING at the point where Christ found/finds us. That is, we desire to continually deepen our relationship with Jesus and are "discontent" unless we, with the guidance and power of the Holy Spirit, are doing so. That's why it's called a content discontentment. Or maybe it's a discontent contentment. No, I think I like the other way better!

Peace,
Stanley

RDA said...

Thanks Brother!