7/18/09

The Bible....boring?

Is the Bible boring? I have heard people say that before. These same people have no problem going to the latest action movie, reading romance novels, war stories, adventure novels, etc. They'll scour the Internet looking up all kinds of stuff, read the news and try to fill their day with "excitement".

So is the Bible boring?

I read the Bible and I find a book filled with romance, murder, the supernatural, intrigue and mystery. There are historical battles, deception, adultery and good people who make bad choices.

Boring?

Never.

"God's word is living and active. It is sharper than any two-edged sword and cuts as deep as the place where soul and spirit meet, the place where joints and marrow meet. God's word judges a person's thoughts and intentions." (Hebrews 4:12)

The Bible is filled with stories of life. The Life that can only be found in Jesus Christ. It contains the Words of God!

"Your word is a lamp for my feet and a light for my path." (Psalms 119:105)

"From infancy you have known the Holy Scriptures. They have the power to give you wisdom so that you can be saved through faith in Christ Jesus. Every Scripture passage is inspired by God. All of them are useful for teaching, pointing out errors, correcting people, and training them for a life that has God's approval. They equip God's servants so that they are completely prepared to do good things." (2 Timothy 3:15-17)

Sure, I'll be honest, there are times I don't feel like reading the Bible. However this is NOT because it is boring. It's because I choose to not give God and His word the priority I should. There are times it feels like everything in the world is more of a priority than His Words to me as found in the Scriptures.

When I am participating in sinful activity I find it difficult to seek Him! Especially when I might feel convicted.

I have a choice each day. I can choose to run away from Him or to draw closer to Him. I can feed on His Words or choose to eat from less nourishing sources. The choice is mine. So are the consequences!

Boring...hardly! Exciting...definitely!

Life changing......undoubtedly!

Read the Word of God with fresh eyes. Let God speak to you today.

2 comments:

tjw1970 said...

Good post and good reminder. I'm reading through Ruth right now. Great story on doing what's right despite the cost to yourself.

RDA said...

Just read Ruth recently myself. I am reading through the OT right now and loving it!